Friday, October 16, 2009

Our first quarter- DONE

Today marks the end of the first 9 week grading period for us. I know its not a major thing, finishing 1/4 of the school year. But for us it is a huge milestone, this is our first year of homeschooling and we have been really nervous about sticking to it. So here are the stats, are you ready?

So far this 9 weeks, the girls have each completed...................

Lydia-
44% math K
22% phonics K
18% lang. arts K
15% history K

I know not all those numbers are great, but you can definitely tell her strong point. Her numbers are going to change a little bit, as we are probably going to do a history lesson today and Scott is going to do a lang. arts lesson tonight (he does the read aloud part of it at bedtime and I do the actual seatwork during lessons the following day, so we usually have 2 or 3 lang. arts lessons done at one time)

And now for Melissa-
25% math 1
39% phonics K
18% lang. arts K
22% history 1
8% science 1
10% art 1
sufficient progress in violin lessons

OK so some of her numbers aren't close to being as good as Lydia's are. We had a few things get involved that caused us some difficulties. Melissa has ADHD and we had some nasty viruses run through here a couple times this school year, so we're playing catch-up still. I anticipate that by the end of 2nd quarter we'll have everything caught up (you can tell which two subjects are not my strong suits LOL) Melissa is doing some of the behind subjects this weekend, so those numbers will go up a little as well. Math is right on, but we are just happy that she's at the place where she LIKES math and she's good at it too so doubling up math lessons hasn't been much of an issue (some days she's even done 3 math lessons because she likes it that much) I'm going to play around with how I teach each subject, we'll see how my idea works.

But honestly, I think we've done pretty good with lessons and being at least semi-consistent with teaching the girls. Especially when you consider I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old to work around............... lol

3 comments:

Tristan said...

I think you're doing great! What a blessing for the girls to have mom and dad to do some of the teaching!

I hadn't been thinking about it, but if 9 weeks is 1/4 of a year, we're past the halfway point!! We just finished week 20 because we started in June. I'm thinking we're due for a break soon. I need to decide what we're taking for the holidays...

Cat said...

lol I know what you mean. It is a blessing, Scott's been as involved as he can be because he is seeing that I can't do all the teaching and housework and everything else by myself. So he started doing housework, picked up reading time with the kids, and on weekends he does the science experiments that I don't want to do LOL We actually plan to NOT take the 2 week break that OHVA has scheduled for us, I'm going to do half day lessons during that 2 weeks off to help us get a little ahead, and I'm considering rescheduling our spring break for when it works for US instead if he can't get their spring break as a week vacation (we want to go on a trip this year, we're blowing the entire tax refund on that instead of paying off his truck LOL)

Farmer Mama said...

CAt, don't hold your beautiful, intelligent girls up to any standards, but their own God given talents and some kids esp in certain families will just develop at later rates. Its perfect fine. Read better late than early and you will not worry one bit. They believe based on scientific evidence that children should not even be introduced to reading/writing until they are at least 8 to 10 or for boys sometimes even 12. You are a bright, warm, wonderful mama and you girls are flourishing fine. Concentrate on fun books cuddled up together and nothing else. Who cares about the stupid standards! I love ya girlie and I am so glad you posted on my blog because I wasnt sure how to contact you and its weird because I was just thinking about you yesterday, talk about freaky ey! :) some other great books, Christian unschooling, The Unschooling handbook; how to use the world as your childs classroom, How children learn, How children Fail, Homeschooling our Children, Unschooling Ourselves, Guerilla Learning, and Unconditional Parenting are a great start! I love them all!