Thursday, October 22, 2009

Melissa and phonics- Oh, my!

Well, moving her down to K phonics has been a really good decision. Tomorrow she'll do her last bit of 1st semester of phonics. She's really grown and developed a huge amount of confidence in her skills with this move down like that, and is quite fluent with her reading at the K phonics level. I'm very happy with the progress she's made so far. So, I thought I may give her a week or two (or maybe even 3) off phonics instruction to just enjoy her reading abilities. I'm thinking she can play at starfall, I'll get out all our earliest phonic readers that she can read and leave them where she can readh them, and we'll focus on another subject for the time she's taken off (I certainly have enough science that she can do, she likes science so I'm sure that taking time off phonics to do extra science will NOT bother her one bit) She's just done so well with phonics that I really can't think of a reason to jump straight into second semester work right off. If I encourage her to read daily and write daily, and we practice the sight word flashcards a bit each day, she'll do just fine for the little break I'm thinking we should take. There are a lot of really cool science labs in the upcoming unit that I think she'll want to do, so we're going to definitely add some extra science into the mix for her. Today's experiment has us blowing up balloons to different sizes and weighing them to see how much air weighs, and the one after that has us working with the stove, ice, and other frozen goodies (can we say ICE CREAM!!!!!!) lol I have a feeling that she'll really like the upcoming science stuff...................

Now if only I could get Lydia past this hump in her phonics, she got to the unit that has her reading words and it made her screech to a stop. So I'm going to be backing up with her for a week, doing some practice from lessons we already did in the past to help build her confidence again and help her make that connection. We'll do that for about a week I think, and then pick up unit 9 again.

No comments: