Friday, January 18, 2013

homeschool week 1 tentative plans

We have a 4 day week for our first week of homeschool, due to a field trip I have planned Monday to the zoo.  So I am trying to decide where we are starting and what to do.

I wanted to spend this first week working with the girls on reading a map and the different symbols and such on maps before we start Cantering the Country.  I need to find my road atlas so that I have a nice big map to use for this.  Our vocabulary this week will be directional and geographic words that we would find on a map, with a quiz at the end of the week to see how well they got the vocabulary.

In science, I thought it would be fun to do the Animal Classification lapbook at Homeschool Share with the girls before we start digging into the science part of our US studies.  I can't print off the material for that until next weekend though, so we are going to do that in week 2 I guess and not do any science this first week.

For language arts, I plan to get the girls each a book to read and they will do a mini book report for me.  We also will begin Easy Grammar, which the first unit is prepositions so I am going to start working with them on memorizing the list of prepositions that they need to learn this year (there is a total of 40 that they must memorize to be successful in the program this year).  Easy Grammar is for the oldest two girls, Kimmy will work on nouns and verbs as well as ending punctuation for sentences (but she is welcome to join her big sisters in grammar if she wants, and may end up doing it with them totally if she seems to be catching on completely).

In math, the older girls will practice multiplication facts memorization and do some drill quizzes like I remember doing in school.  I'll make a chart to show what facts groups they memorized and we will focus on one fact group at a time in daily drills.  First up will be x0, x1, and x2 facts as a big group because I know they pretty much have those mastered then we'll do x3 daily until they get them, and keep moving forward from there.  I can do each girl separately at the same time this way and then just go from there.  Kimmy will review basic addition and subtraction facts and then we'll start Beta with her.

Our copywork this week will be a bible verse that I have yet to pick out, and it will be related to a character trait I've not decided on either.  This is a new thing in our homeschool, as I have never really incorporated Scripture or character traits into our lessons.  I think we will do a notebook for traits so that they can record it as we do lessons.  I'm still working out the kinks in this plan, and may not start it until week 2 or 3 depending on how much time I have this weekend to spend thinking on it.

And of course, lots of playing, crafting, and reading together.  I think this week I'll read "Detectives in Togas" to the girls and get them doing a journal page after each chapter.  I have a BUNCH of books hanging around from our days with Sonlight that I can use for literature time.  I'll just grab one off the shelf and read a chapter a day (or a couple times a day, depending on how the girls like the book) to cover that until we start our US studies since I have lots of literature included in that study.

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with this one!

No comments: