Wednesday, January 23, 2013

back to homeschool, life as usual

Well this week is so far going better than I expected.  We decided this week to just do grammar, math, and literature lessons and then add in history and science and all the other stuff they want to learn (I agreed to lessons in Spanish, crochet, calligraphy, sewing, cooking, and origami also) as we adjust to schooling at home.  We are having a lot of fun at home and working well, but there is a lot of fighting right now that i could do without.  Today would be a great example.  So far today, Liddy has been sent to her room for throwing toys at a sister in anger (trying to injure her with them), Missa has slapped Kimmy in the face because Kimmy didn't want her to join her in her play, and a LOT of screaming and yelling.  I think they are getting on each others' nerves right now so I need to come up with some ways to keep them occupied and working together.

In math Kimmy is going through Alpha to buy me a little time before I have to get her a Beta book, and Liddy is reviewing material in her Beta book that she needs more practice on before I move her up to Gamma.  She's having a little trouble with regrouping, so this was a perfect choice for her.  Missa, she is straight into Gamma and right now we are doing the tests first to find her spot, if she gets 100% on the test we move to the next lesson but if she doesn't we review the material.  She's liking the pace of it this way, and is really proud of being able to just test out of lessons like they are nothing to her.

Grammar has been a bit of a struggle, but more on my end than anything else.  See, I've never had much success with learning proper grammar (as I'm sure you may have noticed in my blog, I know I make some simple mistakes in writing although I am a natural writer in general so I have been able to kind of muddle through without getting any of it).  However, I feel that grammar is something that my children need to learn so that they can be successful later in college, and it is doubly important for my dyslexic student.  So I took the time to find a good solid program that will hold my hand through teaching grammar properly with little knowledge on my part, and Easy Grammar fit the bill on this one.  I'm learning right alongside my girls, right now we are studying prepositions and I'm finally getting what a preposition is.  Yes, at almost 31 I am finally learning grammar.  The hurdle I have encountered is related to my lack of printer ink at the moment.  Without ink, I have to hand-write the worksheets for the oldest girls to do.  I do not like creating worksheets by hand, but I did it today.  Scott said that we can get some more ink when he gets paid Friday so that I don't have to keep dealing with the hassle of hand-writing practice sheets.  I just have to get through tomorrow's lessons, and then we will have the money for me to go to the store Friday for printer ink.

I really should read to the kids now that we have finished almost all the girls' seatwork for the day, but I'm enjoying sitting down and relaxing before I head off to the kitchen to do some prep for dinner and make the pie for dessert.  I have had a few moments this week where I asked myself what I was thinking to pull them out of school, but overall so far it has been going well.

No comments: