Friday, April 30, 2010

I am way too flakey

LOL Yes I admitted to being a total flake. I flip-flop on everything, can't keep my mind made up for too long, and it pretty much runs my life. I thought I had this whole schooling thing figured out for next school year. Then I really spent some time this week looking at what I had lined up. I no longer feel so great about unschooling for the most part, however I do want to be relaxed about schooling for a while. So I started looking at my Sonlight plan to do core K and P4/5, along with science K, this year. I went and got out the books for the core and science, only to hear Lydia protesting about listening to those books AGAIN. So, looks like I'm back to buying that used guide for core 1+2 from a friend of mine to do instead. The kids both want to do world history, especially Melissa. She wants to spend more time on ancients than what we spent this year, and is looking forward to really digging in deep. So, I guess I'm going to piece together 1+2 using the library and a $100 amazon gift certificate.

Another thing that I'm hoping to change is in math. As you know, my kids are really good with math. We are just at a rough spot for 2 digit addition and subtraction with Melissa. So, I was going to run through Miquon math with the girls this fall and just go their speed through it (3 school years of math, 6 workbooks total, I figure they'd both finish it in 2 years likely, maybe less) Its a fairly affordable option, and then I could choose just about any program starting at 4th or 5th grade level. Well, then I discovered that Teaching Textbooks has a 3rd grade level program. I started looking it over, and printed off the placement test. I have discovered that once Melissa masters 2 digit addition and subtraction, and we brush up her money skills, she'll be able to go into Teaching Textbooks 3. I think I'll be going that route with the girls instead, we'll spend time putting together a foundation of basics to give the foundation for them to start TT 3. The program itself is $120 or so, but it is computer-based with a workbook (that I plan to take apart and put into a 3 ring binder as a non-consumable workbook until my last child uses the level, which is when the workbook will be written in) so it is pretty much self-taught and reusable (except for the workbook as its made, but we can make some minor modifications to allow it to be reused) Scott and I are still discussing this option for math, but I have a feeling that once he gets a look at the samples online that he'll like it.

Other than that, I literally have NO clue what we'll end up doing with the kids. I'm just too flakey to stick with anything for too long until we get going. I'm going to keep changing my mind up until the day we start, and then I'll probably second-guess myself regularly once we've gotten started.

No comments: