Monday, April 05, 2010

finishing up with OHVA

Well, I have figured out what to do when we finish OHVA, thank goodness. Now I just have to actually FINISH with OHVA so that we can get started. This week I'm working with the girls on their writing samples that we need to submit to our teacher for their portfolios, and I'll mail them out as soon as we get them finished. Since we took last week off for Spring Break, I have to spend a day or two reviewing 2 digit addition and subtraction with Melissa before we can keep going forward in that unit. She's been really struggling with this particular math unit, so I figure that a few days of extra practicing before we move forward again won't hurt her any.

As we finish a subject in k12, I'm going to pick it up in our materials that we'll be using this upcoming school year. So, here in a couple weeks when Melissa finishes k12 phonics K, we'll start Sonlight LA 1. When they both finish their k12 history we'll start core K. I'm getting all our materials ready now since we are so close to starting our new materials (which I already have on hand thankfully for the most part) and I can tell the girls are starting to get excited by the change as well.

This year with OHVA has been great, and it has taught me a lot about how each kid learns best so that I can accomodate their individual learning needs better. But I'm ready to move on now.

2 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

May Sonlight be a perfect fit for you and your family! I look forward to reading about your adventures in the coming year [smile].

~Luke

Cat said...

Luke you are such a sweetheart. I can't wait to see how the upcoming school year goes, I'm going through LA 1 now to start soon and I just know that she'll love it when we get started (k12 phonics K put her at a level that it appears the first half of LA 1 may be mostly review for her, but with a dyslexic kid review is always good)