Friday, April 16, 2010

icky sickies!

Allergy season is in full swing here. I've been to the doctor already for my allergies, and am now loaded up with my annual allergy prescription along with a long-lasting inhaler and a fast-acting inhaler both for my breathing problems (the long-acting is just a temporary measure that we do every spring when allergy season starts because that's the only time I get really bad off, normally just the fast-acting is all I need and it is rarely used) In the morning (oh wait it IS morning lol I just can't sleep) I need to call the kids' doctor to see if I can get three of them in for allergy meds, the stuff we were told to use last year just isn't working this year and those 3 are absolutely MISERABLE now. I have crying, whining, sniffling children ages 7, 4, and 2 right now who have snotty faces, watery eyes, low-grade fevers, and sore throats from coughing and sneezing and the sniffling. I am going through at least 2 boxes of Kleenex a day (well there's a company that loves me right now) and we're hoping that it doesn't get *too* much worse for them because the oldest one has a soccer game at 9am on Saturday, complete with team pictures being taken just before the game. *sigh*

I am going to need a LOT of Lysol and Clorox wipes to get rid of all the germs in this house when we finally get over the hay fever part of our allergies (usually at least one of the 4 of us with allergies will get seriously ill from all the allergy issues, and that's NORMALLY me with my breathing problems which is why I'm on the 2 different inhalers and a stronger dose of my allergy pills than usual). Dang I hope this part of the year goes by fast so that we can just relax and enjoy the dust allergies that summer brings before the corn pollen of fall and harvesting. LOL Its going to be a long allergy season for us I think.................. lol

But on a positive note, Melissa read an entire chapter of a Magic Treehouse book to me Thursday afternoon with only a little help with some of the trickier words. She really has progressed a lot with her reading, since I figured out how to best teach the child and help her with it. Phonics and sight words as a combination along with magnetic letter tiles that she can move around really are just what she needed to get grounded in her reading. Oh, and she can now officially ride a bike without training wheels, as long as she doesn't have to turn LOL Turning still gives her a bit of trouble, but she'll get it in time.

2 comments:

Tristan said...

Ugh! We're seeing allergy season too, mostly with daddy, it stinks! Hoping the meds get you back on track for breathing again.

Hooray for reading! Great job Melissa! Magic Tree House books are just so much fun. I remember for Makayla it was American Girl books that dragged her through that breakthrough where she would read for fun and not just for mommy to torture her...LOL.

Cat said...

LOL Missa still thinks reading is dumb, but she is making more effort since I sat down every day for a couple weeks straight and read Harry Potter out loud to the kids after lunch during schooldays. She's starting to realize that not all books are full of the silly things that the readers she's been reading for schoolwork have in them. Hopefully going independent from OHVA starting in the fall will give me the ability to "assign" her some more interesting and fun books that are more her style. She's developed a real interest in Eloise stories lately (and hey they have those in the I Can Read! series at level 1 and 2 even so she's building confidence with those ones)

As for the sickies, I filled my 22 qt. stock pot full of homemade chicken soup for tonight's supper. When its almost time to eat I'll dump in a box of star pastas that I have to make chicken and stars (ahhhhh memories of Campbell's from my chicken pox outbreak in 4th grade LOL)