Monday, April 19, 2010

my smart little cookie

I have a 2 year old. Her name is Jordan, and I have literally ZERO expectations from her on schoolwork. I don't even really do anything but read with her and play dolls on occassion and stuff like that. We don't spend much time going over shapes or colors, or trying to teach her to do anything except keep her clothes on.

But despite this lack of working with her, Jordan has managed to learn her colors, shapes, can tell left from right, sings her ABC's, and can recognize a few of her letters by sight. And she can count to 10 on occassion if she's in the right mood.

So, you don't actually need to spend time daily dedicated to teaching skills to preschoolers. I have spent a few minutes a couple times checking to see what she knows, but really we've not done anything. I think Melissa has been teaching her this stuff instead, when they "play school" once in a while.

Isn't it amazing what a child can learn through osmosis?

No comments: