Monday, April 19, 2010

Sonlight, FedEx, and my hormones

So, I love Sonlight. Its pretty obvious I think. LOL However, I do *not* like their shipping through FedEx.

Our homeschool group is doing their yearly curriculum share tonight. I offered to bring my Sonlight preschool cores, as well as lang. arts K and the Fun Tales readers that go with it. There are a lot of families who have kids starting preschool and I find Sonlight to be a fun way to do preschool. So, I volunteered almost 2 weeks ago for this, and then the same day ordered a new copy of my instructor guide for core P 4/5 since mine is all marked up and well-used (and its a couple years old and missing a few books that are in the core now) I get a 50% repurchase discount since I originally bought a new P 4/5 instructor guide through them (a cool little perk of theirs for people who buy a program new) so instead of costing me $25 the guide cost me $12.50. Then, I did some quick calculations on how long it would take to arrive by media mail from Colorado to Ohio, and opted to pay $10 for 3-5 day FedEx shipping instead of risking the $5 media shipping since I wanted it by a certain date. Cool, when my order shipped the tracking said that FedEx would deliver it to me on Saturday (giving me a couple days to go through it before I take it to the curriculum share so I'm semi-familiar with it) Well, Saturday we were all sick, so I chose to keep us home from soccer (just colds, the big kids could have gone to their games but still, you know what I mean) and figured that I'd be able to get my guide that way straight from the delivery truck. Deliveries in my part of town happen by 10am normally, so when it was 2:30PM and still no truck showed up I decided to track my order online and see what was up. Imagine my surprise when I saw that it was still in Cambridge for some reason, and that it would be here on Tuesday.

YES I called FedEx and pitched a fit. I've been dealing with 4 sick kids all week so I'm a bit grouchy myself lately. The lady I spoke with on Saturday said that she couldn't do anything because that distribution center wasn't answering (she called 3 times) and that I'd have to call on Monday to find out what's up. So I seethed through all of Sunday, and as soon as I was awake enough to see straight this morning I called back. I yelled LOUDLY into the phone about it, to two different support reps. Then I pitched a fit at the distribution center's top guy. They have no clue why it got routed as it did (its marked as a home delivery but somehow got routed through the business deliveries *sigh*) So, as a result of my pitching a fit over this and going off on all the bad service I've gotten from FedEx the past 3 years that I've been ordering from Sonlight (out of 10 deliveries I've gotten ONE on time and not damaged, usually I have a damaged order or it is 3-4 days late and it was always delivered to the wrong house before we moved, but that one I understood because of our address being a 1/2 one) they are having one of their business delivery trucks that is going to Columbus swing through Newark today to specifically drop off my order.

I also have been pitching a fit about this at the Sonlight forums, and got a personal call from one of their people about the matter. Karla personally looked into the matter while I was dealing with it also, to see if she could get it cleared up as well. I was also told that while they do ship through FedEx, if I refuse to ever use FedEx again after this to just request UPS in the comments box on future orders and they will take care of it for me. They do truly care about the satisfaction of their customers, and they've proven this to me a few times in the past (missing item in one purchase, they automatically sent me the item as soon as I mentioned it, and then there is this today along with being very fast to answer questions when I have them about their products and service) I've said it before in my blog, and I'm going to say it again. This company knows how to take care of their customers, and they have definitely secured a permanent customer in my family with their service for as long as we homeschool. I love Sonlight so much, and the curriculum they carry is top-notch as well.

But I pity the people at FedEx that had to deal with me the last couple days while I yelled at them repeatedly over this matter, and I wonder if their driver that they tracked the mix-up down to will still have a job after this..............

No comments: