Sunday, April 26, 2009

Jordan's latest new skills and more

So, I don't consider any child under the age of 4yo to be doing lessons of any sort, however I do work with them casually through games and such. Lately, I've been working with Jordan on naming some of her body parts through fun little games, and left/right discrimination. Yes, they will learn to tell left from right at 2yo if you make it a part of daily language. Well, today I was playing piggies with Jordan (you know, that fun little toes game, "this little piggy went to market......." that always ends in a tickle and the little dear squealing with laughter) and when we finished she stuck her left foot in my hand and said "fee! mo!" (translation: Feet! More!) so I quizzed her a little bit. She can identify her feet, nose, and hands when asked. Well, not so consistent on HER nose, when I ask her where JoJo's nose is she sticks her finger up mine instead LOL and she says the body part when we ask her where it is. So now we are working on belly, hair, and mouth. She is so cute, there's definitely no speech delays with her thank goodness!

Also, with Kimmy we've been working on colors and shapes. She's starting to get there, she can identify yellow, blue, and red with a fair amount of accuracy, and she knows circle, square, heart, and star. We also have started working on teaching her to recognize her name when its printed so that I can start putting her name on things for her to find instead of having one of her big sisters get things for her or my getting it for her. We also are working on getting her to talk around other people, she's still not too sure of herself with speaking if we're not at home or if new people are around. But she's getting there, she's come a long way in the past year with her speech delays thanks to the work we've been doing with her (no speech therapist involved for the most part, that's just not in our budget and insurance won't cover it for some reason)

Lydia's making progress too. She's been mastering a few things lately in the motor skills department, especially her ability to maneuver silverware. Yesterday at breakfast, she took on the challenge of trying to cut her pancakes with a plastic knife. She actually managed to cut them up (ok more like tear them up, but its definitely improvement) We're still working on her pencil grip and getting her fingers to work for her to start drawing and writing more, as she gets really tired fast when she tries (I'm talking 30 seconds fast normally) but that will come in time. That's the beauty of being able to homeschool, I can write for her when she gets tired, and she can type instead if she wants (or use my voice-recognition program that I use on my worst days for typing when it hurts too much to really type)

Melissa, well she's doing good in school from what I'm seeing with stuff she brings home every day. I just have to trust that she is doing as well as I think she is, and I'm still working with her daily on her reading. That's the only place she's not quite there yet, except for money recognition. But the money thing will come in time (and I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with her money knowledge, she got $10 from Scott's mom and $5 from my mom and stepdad for her birthday and was able to tell us exactly what they were, and she reads the price labels at the store for me on the lower shelves that I can't bend down to read some days, she also enjoys trying to sort and count all the change in our HUGE jar that we have sometimes if she has nothing else that she wants to do and doesn't want to tell me she's bored because she knows I'll give her a rag and tell her to clean the bathroom floor or some other horrible chore, its amazing how fast they learn to be imaginative when you do that kind of thing in response to "I'm bored mom!" LOL)

No comments: