Thursday, May 21, 2009

ohva

You probably know by now that I'm one of the most INDECISIVE people on the planet lol I felt really good at first about our choice to go with ohva for the girls so that we could have the transition and all that for Melissa, and because its free (big plus when your on a budget!) Well, yesterday I came unglued to 3 people: my wonderful husband and 2 friends of mine. One friend took me to the homeschool group's curriculum share on Monday night (she drove and I made supper for her and her kids, then Scott watched all 6 kids by himself so we could go, he deserves sainted for that! lol) and she discovered a program that she LOVED from the moment she first started leafing through the books. She discovered Konos, and talked to the lady who brought it to share and fell even more in love with it as she talked more to her about it. She finally found something that fits her I hope. Me, on the other hand, I wasn't excited by Konos at all, it just looked like it would require way too much tweaking to make it work for my family with our beliefs and what we want to teach. Soooo, I started looking at other things there. Nothing even came close to comparing to my Sonlight, but that's ok. I still enjoyed looking. Then I found it. Someone brought a copy of Story of the World vol. 3. I had purchased vols. 1 and 2 on clearance from the WTM site (its the old edition, that's why it was clearanced) and they are sitting on my shelf, just waiting on me to get them out and do them with the girls. Then, I saw Explode the Code books over at the lang. arts table, and I knew instantly that Melissa would LOVE it just from leafing through it. Mth table, I found someone had brought her child's Miquon math workbook and the lab annotations book. Again, I had that ah-HA moment when I leafed through it. (if you don't know already, I have a fond history with Miquon. I went to a private school for pre-k and K and at 3yo had already finished all their K materials so they got me started with Miquon math and some LA workbooks that I can't remember, I did all 6 Miquon books during my time at that school and I'm a total math geek, I love math)

So since Monday night, I have been praying about it, thinking, and discussing it with Scott. I came totally unglued on my other friend in an e-mail yesterday and she sent me a reply with the most useful thing of all: a breakdown of the pros and cons of going with ohva and not going with ohva. So I thought more about it all day, prayed a few more times yesterday (as well as a couple times overnight and this morning) and Scott told me this morning to get my intent ready. So, I e-mailed my friend again, and she helped me with my notification letter this morning after I took Melissa to school. It felt so good to get it done, I just have to type up my list of materials and brief outline of what we're covering this school year (she helped me write them out for me to type up at home after helping me with her little standardized *form letter* for notification) I am officially NOT going with ohva now after how things have worked with me and Scott the last few days. I think it has been a process though, I started doubting myself a few days after I got the approval notice from ohva. And apparently its been weighing on Scott too, as he seemed a bit relieved when I first brought it up with him.

So instead of ohva, we'll be doing Story of the World vol. 1, Explode the Code, Sonlight LA K (for Lydia), miquon math, Horizons math K, HWT print and cursive, and Sonlight science K (and we'll add in a bit of astronomy for Melissa since she asked to study the solar system) I still don't know exactly how I'll pull it off with a 3yo and 2yo in the mix as well, but I'll figure it out later LOL

2 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

May you continue to find exactly what will be best for your family, and may all the "little" details (like a couple of toddlers thrown in the mix) come together as well [smile].

~Luke

Veronica (Xzavan) said...

You are no more indecisive than I am. I think I may have you beat yet. I have changed my mind thousands of times about next year's curriculum already and I'm on week *2* Yep, I still have 34 weeks to go and I'm already changing my mind on what to do next year. I'm glad you found what's working. And, if you ever need help changing you're mind, I'll be available. :)