Wednesday, April 08, 2009

more reading success

Melissa is required to be able to read books at a certain level to pass K in school. Well, this has been a struggle for her. A few times last month, her teacher would send home a book that level as her baggy book for the evening, and it would literally have her in tears because its too hard. Well, today's baggy book is that level again. I sat her down on a stool in the kitchen to read to me in private, and she immediately went into meltdown mode. Started crying and covering her face and slumping down, saying she can't do it. I managed to calm her down, took a couple minutes though. I talked to her about it. I told her that I'll never think she's dumb if she can't do it, that its ok to not be able to read it if she tries to, and that I'll help her with the words if she needs it. She finally stopped, and started to read it. She only needed help with ONE WORD! She missed the word "tie", which is totally understandable since we never really did much with double vowels and other goodies (we were still struggling on cvc words) She even managed to nail the words "special" and "basketball" without any trouble, just a slight pause before she said them. It appears that my girl may be passing the reading part of the K assessment after all......................... Now we just have to get her counting solidly without any help so that she can pass that area, then we'll be set for the year.

1 comment:

mary grace said...

I LOVE the new reader phase. Go, little girl, go! :-)