Friday, March 27, 2009

Math-U-See

I've looked at this particular math program for several months but never really was too interested until recently. Monday I got the DVD demo that I requested in the mail, but didn't really have a chance to watch it until now. It kinda hit the back burner, if you know what I mean. So anyway, I decided this morning to watch it on my laptop (hey the little girls were watching Disney, the tv was taken lol) It took a few tries for my laptop to read it (had to get the dust off the disc first) but then I got to watch. Well, I'm very impressed with what I saw on the DVD, it appears that this may be a good fit for Melissa. I like how the concepts are presented from what I saw in the demo, and it was instantly engaging for me the math genius. I am going to have Scott watch it tonight if possible so we can discuss it together and decide if we want to stick with Horizons and Singapore for the 2 school-agers or go with Math-U-See instead. I really like how the levels aren't numbered like grades, but use greek letters instead for labelling each level. This is SUPER important for Melissa so she doesn't get upset about doing a math level that is lower than grade level, and so she doesn't get into quite as big a tizzy as her little sister passes by her in math for a while. I also really like the way lessons are presented, if the instructional DVD is done the same as how the demo was done then I'm SOLD. I feel like we may be making a change to our plans for next school year, if Scott agrees that the price is ok since I'd be buying Primer and Alpla both with the rods (including the completer set) in one purchase to try and slow down Lydia in math a bit (she'll begin with Primer while Melissa and I work her way through Alpha, plus Melissa will start alpha a full 3 or 4 months before Lydia starts primer so that should help a bit too)

I just nervous about the price tag, although a lady whose youngest daughter is in Lydia's gymnastics class offered me her primer manual and dvd since her youngest is now starting alpha, so that will cut the cost a little bit.

No comments: