Wednesday, March 25, 2009

tentative plans for 2009-2010 school year

We're set to start in June with the 3 R's (reading, writing, and math) about a week after she finishes the public school year, and then in July we'll slowly add in the rest. But here's what I'm thinking at this point (note all my materials that I have to order are available at the same company)

for Melissa:

Sonlight cores P3/4 and P4/5
Sonlight science K
Sonlight LA 1 and readers
Horizons math (will do placement on first day of summer vecation)
Explode the Code 1-3
lapbooking to supplement core and science
violin lessons I think

for Lydia:

Sonlight core K (she'll also sit in on P3/4 and P4/5 if she wants)
Sonlight science K
Sonlight LA K and readers
Singapore Primary math 1A and 1B (she's a math whiz)
Ready, Set, Go For the Code
lapbooking to supplement core, science, and LA

for Kimmy:

Sonlight core P3/4 (and the others if she's interested)
lapbooking with her big sisters


Now, you may ask why on EARTH I'm doing Sonlight's preschool cores with a 1st grader in the fall, while my K'er in the fall will do core and science K. Well, that is because Melissa's not too big on listening to me read. I'm planning to start in June with the 3 R's and will add in P3/4 to do, and in September I'm hoping to start core K and science K. I'm hoping that starting off gently like this will get her wanting to do core K with Lydia, but if she doesn't then I'm not going to get upset by it. The local public schools have pretty much given up on her already, which is really sad. She needs more time to do things, and I know that when she does get ready that she'll take off and fly to where she needs to be. Unfortunately, I'm going to have a hard time with this at first because she is definitely one of those kids who do best with the "better late than early" approach and her sister is definitely not one of those kids. lol But it will work out eventually.

1 comment:

Luke Holzmann said...

Sounds like a good plan. May this be your best year yet!

~Luke