Tuesday, March 03, 2009

rough ideas for next school year

As you know, I'm planning for next school year already so that I can relax and enjoy the year without worrying too much, and to tweak as much as I want. Anyway, I am doing some unit studies and lapbooking this year I think instead of what we've done in the past. It will be Melissa's 1st grade year and Lydia's K year, so I'll only need to do reporting for Melissa. Now, we aren't still 100% sure that we're going to homeschool, but we feel a need to be ready just in case we do decide to (we're about 95% sure we will at this point, unless I start back to college like we are also considering) Anyway, I just had this huge ah-HA! moment while looking at the Hands Of A Child lapbooks and a dear friend's homeschool blog. She did a unit study on the movie "Finding Nemo" and turned it into a HUGE lapbooking project, learning about the animals in the movie and about Austrailia and even dissecting some of the sea critters they learned about. What if I take a movie that the girls really enjoy and learn about the area and time period its set, the famous people that may be in the movie, animal life, the culture of people there, and such? For example:

the movie Pocahontas (the girls LOVE this one)
we learn about:
the story of Pocahontas
the Jamestown settlement
exporer life in the New World
the indian tribe (lifestyle, traditions, religous beliefs, etc)
the main wildlife in the movie (raccoon, hummingbird, that obnoxious doggie LOL)
maize and corn (their main crop)

The movie "The Lion King"
we learn about:
African geography
african safari
wildlife
maybe even a couple african tribes if we want to
go visit that area of the Columbus Zoo

Do you understand what I'm thinking about? Its kind of hard to explain really well.................. I have it really solid in my mind and know how it'll work, and I know the kids will have an absolute ball with it. I can do this with all their favorite movies in one way or another, and our big science study for the year will be incorporated into it as we learn about the plant and animal life of different areas that we "visit" in our world tour. I'll probably do the Finding Nemo unit my friend did, but a bit differently than she did it, and instead of traditional lapbooks I'll have each girl do binders for their world tour, using dividers to mark each area we visited.

No comments: