Monday, February 18, 2013

A year ago yesterday

I was a bit busy yesterday, so I didn't get to post this right away.  After all, the new episode of "The Walking Dead" was on when PJ fell asleep in my lap and I just had to see who was shot, eaten by zombies, and all that great stuff that is pretty normal for the show.  Hey, I know what you are thinking about the quality programming I watch, but it is once a week after the kids go to bed and an opportunity for me and Scott to get a little time doing something together.  I'm not giving up my show (even if I do cover my eyes or look away during some scenes).  Anyway, back to what I was saying.......

Yesterday my baby boy had a big day.  It was his first birthday yesterday, and we spent the day enjoying his first things he did as a 1 year old.  If you want, you can CLICK HERE to read about his joining our family (warning, may be a little profanity in there as I was being very candid and honest about how I felt).

He started his day as usual around 6am, just like a good little morning person (I now have 2 kids who are morning people, luckily I'm one as well).  Running and playing with his oldest sister while the other girls and Scott slept was his start to the day.


Missa made that crown for him; she had so much fun doing it.  His energy in the mornings once he's awake (he's a little grumpy usually the first few minutes until he has had some time to snuggle and nurse, then he's off and running usually) should be illegal I think.  If I could find a way to bottle it I'd be a very rich woman.  He spent all day playing with his sisters when it wasn't time to eat.  We had a big pancake breakfast, which is one of his favorite things to eat in the mornings (he ate 2 whole pancakes) and then everyone got dressed.  I decided that we would eat his favorite foods for the day, except at lunch which Scott handled while PJ napped and I laid down with him.  He played a rousing game of "keep away from Missa because she wants to put a dry diaper on me" after she decided to change him and had taken off his wet diaper, which was a few minutes of entertainment with him running off from her and then turning around and screeching happily before tearing off again. (highly amusing to watch I tell you)  He chased the dog, who was in no mood with her injured paw so she spent most of the day up on a bed or cuddled up with any big human who would protect her from that ornery baby.

Then it was supper time.  I made personal pizzas for everyone, including PJ getting his own for the first time.  We had the choice of pepperoni, pineapple, and mushrooms for pizzas.  He had a cheese pizza and loved it.






As you can see, he enjoyed pizza night and getting the best seat in the house to watch tv.  He ate that entire pizza by himself (the pizza was cut into 4 pieces, he had the smallest pizza of the whole lot).  Then it was time for dessert.






Scott made the cupcakes while I was laying down with PJ for his nap, and then I iced them.  I actually found a can of BLUE icing at the store on Saturday, it was funfetti icing that came with fish shaped sprinkles.  The girls thought it was the best EVER to get to do blue icing on his cupcakes, so that's what we did.  Then we had the joy of dealing with the effects of the artificial food dyes in it for a few hours afterward with the girls, although it was much better than usual AND they spent most of the reaction time sleeping through it.

It wasn't much that we did for his birthday, as we are still waiting for the IRS to process our taxes and give us that refund already, but we had fun.  I had to promise the girls that we'll do a "proper" party for his birthday when the refund finally gets here (and after we pay off the layaway on the new furniture and fix Scott's car so I can have my van back).  But I don't think he noticed that we didn't have presents or balloons or anything like that this time.





As you can tell, it wore him out just in time for the end of our show.  He spent 3/4 of it running from our room into his sisters' bedroom and waking them up to play with him, only to be carried back to us by a GROUCHY Missa clunking around in that walking cast. lol  He got even with them last night for all the times they've interrupted his naps to play with him the last year.

Happy birthday little dude, you survived your first year with all these big sisters and our crazy life.  I can't wait to see what this next year will bring us as you grow more into the ornery little boy you are quickly becoming.

No comments: