Monday, February 25, 2013

Is it really already that time?

I was looking at the calendar a few minutes ago and realized that pretty soon I need to schedule a portfolio review or order standardized tests for my notification in the fall.  I can't believe it is already that time, I don't have a lot really to show for our work so far.  I have the girls' math workbooks (or notebook in Missa's case) and their journals, and right now we're working on a lapbook for animal classification (I'm having trouble getting to this one for some reason, the kids enjoy working on it but I'm just having a lot of trouble forcing myself to do it) and doing a study on map reading.  I feel like I should have more to show though, although I know they've come a LONG way in the 2 months we've had them back home again.  I am going to call the lady who did our last assessment to see if I can schedule for Scott's week off in May or the one in June, then just keep plugging along to get some sort of paper trail to show her when we go in.  I have plans for the time until we get the assessment done, but it is tough for me to be so consistent and structured.  We spent 4 years as unschoolers before this year, with lots of literature and some random unit studies thrown in the mix.  We didn't really follow much of a schedule or predictable flow to our days, so I'm having a LOT of trouble with this right now.  I know I need to be more structured for the kids' educational needs, but it just isn't something that comes natural to me.

But at least we have something to show for a few subjects. :)

No comments: