Monday, February 27, 2012

math headaches

As you know, I have a lot of fun with teaching Missa sometimes.  She is stubborn just like I am, and we butt heads regularly.  I had tried passing math to Scott to do with her, but his approach doesn't actually teach her how to do the work.  It only taught her how to be lazy and mess around until he gives her the answer and tells her how to do the problem.  I make her actually DO the work herself, and keep trying when she makes simple mistakes where I know she knows what she's doing.  I'm talking a problem like 62+16, she'll just randomly say that the answer is 91 and then when I send her to redo the computation she'll put 92, then 90, then 93, and so on every time in hopes that I'll give up and tell her the answer.  That was one of today's math problems, by the way, one that she just threw down answers on to get out of the work.  She's capable, she knows how to do the work.  I sent her back to recheck her computation on that problem (and 3 others) four different times before she started screaming at me about it.

Time out, kid.  Get on your bed.

She detests actually putting forth a little effort in math.  Of course it is difficult, she doesn't take her time with each problem.  She did so well in math before, even when I moved her up to Beta in October.  But I've noticed that the last 6 weeks or so, she's become increasingly resistant to doing the work.  She has balked at it, ignoring me when I say it is time for math, she's smarting off, screaming at me, not even trying to do the work, and doing everything she can to get out of it.  And every day, math gets interrupted by my having to send her off to cool down on her bed for a little bit so she can regroup and focus on the couple problems that she keeps butting heads with me on.

These are the moments that make me want to bang my head on the brick walls in our home and just scream.  These are the moments that lead to me fantasizing about enrolling them all in the local public school and saying forget it.  These are the moments that make me feel most like a failure as a mom because my child won't listen to me.  I know they are hard on Missa too.  She gets all worked up and flustered, then starts to scream and freak out which makes me yell back.  She pulls every excuse she can out of the bag, from trying to use her dyslexia to get out of it to saying its because she's not a Peterman like everyone else so she doesn't get it as fast to anything else she can think of.  She manipulates, ot ay least tries to, and I smack down those attempts as fast as she makes them.

She will make a great politician one day, if we can get her through school and college..........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My oldest is only 4, but we plan on homeschooling. From what I read on other blogs this is fairly common with math.

From what I remember, it seems that the mother always first prays to God to know what to do with the situation. Takes a break from the math curriculum they are using. Then, finds some age/grade appropriate games to play with the child while all along praying and attempting to hear the answers God is telling her.

Hang in there! It sounds to me like you are doing your best!