Friday, May 27, 2011

what they are reading right now

Liddy loves books, and it is a challenge sometimes to find one that she can read that is going to challenge her at the same time. She's whipped through all our Sonlight grade 1 readers in just a few weeks, and has reread these books dozens of times. She LOVES the Dr. Seuss books. So after hearing her read one of those books yet again, I decided to test out my library stack of readers for Missa to see how her reading is. This is the book she's reading now........



She made it about halfway through it before deciding that she wanted to stop. That book was a *bit* of a challenge and a stretch for her, but she did very well with it.

Missa, on the other hand, has been slowly working all year long through the stories in this book........



She's not *quite* ready yet to tackle the book that Liddy is reading, and she struggles with the book she's reading now. We spend a lot of time reading together, me helping her with the words she doesn't know. She's about 1/4 through her book, we read stories a few times before moving on and revisit favorites that she's already read as we continue to work on her fluency.

Both girls' books are part of the Sonlight grade 2 readers set. I own the one Missa is reading, and Liddy's (plus most of the others) came from the local public library. I intend to buy the reader package here soon if I can scrounge up the money, giving Liddy and Missa both their own bible books (Missa will NOT part with her bible book any time soon, I already know this). But I thought it would be fun to share where my girls are in their reading (and even more surprising, Liddy's book is further into the reader schedule than Missa's book is but I think Missa's may be a harder book because of all those names).

No comments: