Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ahhhh the used curriculum sale!!!!!

I went to my first-ever used curriculum sale last night. I have been doing my homework for a few weeks now, as Scott and I have been getting a nagging feeling that ohva just isn't the right fit for our family even with all the benefits it has for us (free materials, computer, partial reimbursement for internet costs, no reporting, and just about anyone could pick up and teach if I'm sick and unable to) Well, I sent in my notification yesterday to the district, and on Monday I'm calling ohva to withdraw our enrollment. So, last night I went with a friend of mine to the sale to see if I could score a few things I knew I wanted to get for this upcoming school year. Well, I spent $36 there, and this is what I managed to pull off:

Sonlight language arts 1 (2007 edition)
Sonlight I Can Read It! set (2007 also, was packaged with the LA for a total of $10)
Miquon math lab annotations book
full set cuisinaire rods (for the math we'll use)
Explode The Code 2, 3, and 4
a book for our president unit study (its about the White House)
a magnetic picture/ word board

Now, our plan originally was for us to use Miquon math and ETC for LA, I wanted to do SL's LA with Melissa but I can't afford it new and didn't think I'd get an awesome deal on it used like this. Well, I was holding out for the PERFECT deal on a used set of LA 1 and ICRI books, and I got my deal. That's almost a $90 set, those two together, and I paid $10 for it. I was hoping to find ANYTHING for ETC that we could use (we were planning on workbooks 1, 2, and 3 this fall with Melissa) and I only have to buy book 1 now. Same with my math books, I was hoping I could get at least the lab annotations used so that I could save a little and I did. There were a few people there selling sets, but none of the sets had the workbooks I need this fall so I only got the lab book and the manipulatives.

My friend that I went with, she spent $20 and walked out with sooooo much more than I did, but she got a lot of workbooks and freebies. She also haggled a few deals for stuff, unlike me (I felt the prices were good enough without having to haggle)

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I'm in awe! What a blessing to find the Sonlight readers/la for such a bargain!! :-)