Thursday, June 21, 2012

tough decision with a child

I only have a few minutes before we have to leave for VBS so I will keep this short.

Jojo will be 5 on September 3rd.  The cutoff for a child to start school is September 30th, and school starts this year on August 22nd.  She technically passed the K screening but has some areas that we need to keep working on, and I question her maturity at times.  We have full-day K only around here, I don't know of any half-day options.  So I'm about 90% sure that she won't be going to school this fall with her sisters.  I'm thinking she would benefit from another year at home with me, working casually and gently on things that she struggles in and maturing a bit more before she starts the next year.  But Scott wants me to send her and at least give it a try to see how she does.  She doesn't really have an opinion either way.

If we keep her home, I'll get her reading and start addition and subtraction when PJ naps.

1 comment:

Tristan said...

Keep her home! Give her the advantage of being one of the older ones in her class so school is easier. Why put her in when she's not quite ready? We want those first years of school to be easy, not a struggle. Give her time to be little!