Friday, January 06, 2012

New year, new plans

Well, its the start of a new year.  This is the time I usually look at what we've done so far during the school year and re-evaluate my goals to see what we need to do so that we can accomplish them for the school year.  Well, this year is no different for us, although I'm doing things a lot differently.

Math has gone really well for us.  My goal was to move at their paces and let things go how they do, with hopes to at least have Missa in Beta and then Liddy and Kimi working well through their books.  Well, goal met and all is going well, so no changes will be made there.

Handwriting is going well too.  In fact, better than anticipated.  Missa decided to start cursive in November, my plan was to have her start by February so she's ahead there.  Liddy is about to start her next book, which is also a bit ahead of schedule.  Kimi finished her book, which totally threw me off so I had to scramble to find something to fill in with until we can order the next book for her, and Jojo is going to finish up her book here probably by the end of this month.  So that is all going well.

Reading..... well Missa finished her first chapter book recently, so now we're waiting for the baby to be born so that we can take her to lunch and a movie like promised.  Liddy started one, and the little two are working nicely at it as well.  No complaints in this area at all, everyone is making forward progress in reading.

History..... yeah that.  I ended up dropping my Sonlight core completely for the most part, now we are just reading through "A Child's History of the World" a chapter 3 days a week minimum until we finish.  I don't have the ability now to do anything extra really, but that's ok because the girls, especially Missa, have been pulling the other history books off our shelf to look through in their free time and Scott is reading the read alouds from the core to them at night and on  weekends.  So its still working here, just not as written at ALL.

Science has been mostly abandoned.  We watch stuff on tv and talk about it.  That's about all we're going to do the rest of this school year I think in this area, unless Scott takes over this subject as well.

*****CONTINUED*****

Sorry, I had to take a break in mid-post because I started getting dizzy.  That happens a lot to me lately when I'm up more than just a few minutes at a time.

Anyway, my mid-year evaluation showed that we are doing pretty good in general here with lessons, even if we've not met a few goals in a couple subjects.  So, the plan for the rest of this school year is for me to take it easy and continue with the changes that we were forced to make and just keep up the pace we've set for now with things.  Then in August I will send in our notification for the new school year with the plan of moving on to US history.  That plan I'll talk about later on, after Isaiah is born next month.  But I do have a plan for it, and surprisingly it does not involve Sonlight at this point.  I am taking a different approach for a bit, after seeing the troubles we had this school year with the pregnancy and how I had to drop so much.  So stay tuned, and I'll share more later with you.

No comments: