Thursday, September 17, 2009

ooooops

OK for this one I need to give a bit of background. And then you can have a good hard laugh at my expense.

On labor day, Scott noticed that our front yard was soggy and that there was a big puddle on our walkway that was bubbling between the walkway cracks. Great. So we called the water department and had them come look at it, they confirmed that it was a broken water main. So, we called plumbers to get it fixed (apparently the water main is our responsibility from the street shutoff, we thought it was from the outside meter) So, on Monday the backhoe came in and dug a nice 120 ft ditch in my yard from street to house, and they shut off the water. I was prepared, they gave us a week to get ready for this. I had every bit of laundry and dishes done plus gallons of water waiting for drinking, cooking, and toilet flushing. The water was shut off Monday around 11am, and was back on at 2pm Tuesday. Not too bad I think, and we got an all new main, new meter, and replace our hot water tank lines too (we knew it needed done but Scott's been putting it off so I added that in to the repair because I got sick of waiting on him to do it LOL) So, $3,300 later we're all set and done. I have a long mound of dirt in my yard, and part of my drivewy was torn up from it, but I have running water and NO leaks. That's the important thing. lol

So, as a result of this work I have been flushing all our water lines as I need them. I did the kitchen and bathroom immediately, and then flushed my hot water tank. Well, this morning it was time to do the washer lines. So I took the drain hose out of the pipe, and one at a time I flushed my water lines for about 5min each (I wanted to be 100% sure all the junk was out) Then I put the lines back and ran a sanitize cycle since it hasn't been run in a few days (just in case something was growing). Then I went to do my dishes.

After I finished the dishes, I sat down at the computer to play a game just as the washer strated draining water. I noticed that it sure was loud, and then remembered. I didn't put the drain hose back in the pipe after flushing my lines. I effectively flooded my laundry room floor.

As a result, my laundry room floor is cleaner than its been in the 6 years my family has owned this house (especially the year that we've lived here) and its cleaner than it will ever be again as long as my family lives here.

Yes I can laugh about it now, but it was NOT funny when I first did it and had to go find my mop (which I quit using when my dad gave me a swiffer and a bunch of wet pads)

No comments: