Monday, September 21, 2009

money skills

Now I KNOW for a fact that last school year Melissa did work on coins how much they are worth and all that stuff. Well, so far this year every single time we've come across a review involving coins she goes "uhhhhhhh" and doesn't know what any of them are if they aren't a penny. I am really disgusted by this, I KNOW she came home with worksheets that she did in school about the value and names of different coins because I hung a couple on our fridge. She got good scores on those sheets too. So how is it that she has NO CLUE how to tell a dime from a quarter?

Good thing I had purchased Lydia the Kumon counting coins book to do this year, I've got Melissa doing it instead right now. She's started at the beginning, working on counting pennies. We'll be doing this for a few days or longer, however long it takes her to work through the entire book. I'm not going to keep playing around with this, being able to accurately count money out is way too important of a skill for her to fumble on it for very long.

She's definitely not liking me too much at the moment though, especially since I'm having her do ALL the pennies pages today (she already knows how to work with pennies, its the others she can't do)

No comments: