Tuesday, June 09, 2009

started today

We had a bunch of stuff happen yesterday (translation: mommy ended up taking some vicodin and was knocked stupid after the stuff happened) so we didn't get to start summer term. So we started today. The girls did a few pages each in their HWT books, and then Lydia did some pages in a counting workbook while Melissa and I started on her Kumon telling time workbook together. After we did that, I read 2 stories from core P3/4 to them. We are going to read the entire core once through this summer, and then when we finish we'll move into P4/5 and do it the same way before we do core K.The first treasury we are reading through is Eloise Wilkins, we read the first two stories. They were a little young for Melissa and Lydia, but they loved the pictures and they got into the stories anyway. Kimmy had a blast listening to the stories because she is 3, the age they intend the core to be for. Now they are watching tv and resting (I hope they are resting a bit at least) so I'm taking some time at the computer.

I didn't think Melissa would get so excited to do schoolwork since she finished public just last week, but she's stoked that we are doing school at home now instead of waiting. I want to get her to read to me in a bit, so I'll get out the Fun Tales (Sonlight lang. arts K readers) and have her read the first one to me. We're going to do one of the books every day until they are done, and then the following Monday she'll start LA 1. I'm wanting to build her confidence before I jump into LA with her, so she doesn't refuse to do the work even though I know she can do it easily already. Also, next week I'm going to do a unit study on our bodies and nutrition for science. We're starting with just the basics for now though, once we get science added in and we are doing it daily then I'll add in a little world geography study (we'll do a "world tour" this summer, we'll learn the continents and oceans and talk about some of the famous places on each continent, then when we start our world history we'll add in the countries we study during the year under each continent, we'll have a binder for each girl to show what she's learned all year, and hopefully every year we can add to our world tour using a different color cardstock and paper each year to tell what we did each school year)

Not too exciting really, but its given me a LOT of confidence in my ability to actually do this. I hope every day of lessons goes this smoothly, although I already know that it won't go as well as it did today since we are pretty much just reviewing things the girls already know (and helping solidify Melissa's ability to tell time, after we do time we'll start on money)

1 comment:

Luke Holzmann said...

You absolutely can do this! This is a journey, and some parts/days won't be as nice. But it is a blessing overall, and, since you're in control, you can set the pace. If you need to take a break, you have the option to do so.

~Luke