Monday, April 04, 2011

ancient Mesopotamia

I told you that we supplement our Sonlight core curriculum with a couple other programs right? Well, we do. We add History Pockets and lapbooking to our studies. In fact, right now while I type this post, I am pausing every few minutes to flip pages while I copy the activities for our ancient Mesopotamia lapbook from my new HOAC project pack. At convention I bought this as a full package complete with a prefolded folder and a set of the activity pages on color paper. Well, we are taking the folder from our next unit's pack out so they both have a blue folder, and then they are going to alternate who gets a color activity and who gets black and white (Liddy has been assigned to odd-numbered activities in color and even in black and white, while Missa get odd-numbered activities in black and white and the even-numbered ones in color). They have the understanding that if they share well for the next 2 units with the color activities, that I will buy colored file folders and paper and we will do more lapbooks with colored activities. If they don't, then it is back to black and white minit books and plain folders. I don't anticipate there being much of a problem with these two sharing the color printed activity pages.

Now, these aren't my first HOAC lapbooks. I've done a couple in the past that I borrowed from a friend to have a couple components to add to the free stuff. But this IS the first time that I've done a HOAC unit lapbook as the main component of our lapbooking. Usually we use free things from Homeschool Share to make our lapbooks, and then worksheets and coloring pages from various other sites to add in a bit more. I have never paid for all this material that we've added before this school year. This is the first year we've been able to afford to pay for extras after buying our core program for history, and I'm really enjoying it. I really enjoy not having to take the time to find minit book templates that will work, clipart that is relavant, and create a sort of lesson plan to include it with our Sonlight materials. I don't have to spend the time researching the topic to create a read-aloud handout for the girls to take turns reading me (which was something we wanted this year) and there is no need to spend a lot of time looking through library books to find ones that will work for us with the unit. With the addition of the two programs that we chose to add, I have all these things already finished for me. I just need to take the time to print it all up. My printer is getting *quite* the workout in "copy" mode lately as a result........ lol

But our plan for this week is to get into ancient Mesopotamia real good, hopefully completing half of our lapbook AND history pocket for both. I intend to spend 2 or 3 weeks studying this area, pulling worksheets from the k12 history book that we had for Liddy at the start of the year before we pulled out of OHVA. So, this week I need to get to the library and pick up some books for our study if there is anything available. It may not be super fancy or exciting, but the girls should enjoy it before we dig into our big unit with ancient Egypt. That one, I should purchase a couple more HOAC units to do (in eBook format though) but I'll decide on that after I get us started on this unit. Our Handle On The Arts materials came with a lapbook for ancient Egypt that I'm adding in as well, so we may be able to get away with just the one HOAC unit I bought and the various resources available free online. But I am looking at the HOAC Pyramids unit, so I may end up buying that one no matter what we decide.

No comments: