Tuesday, March 15, 2011

new math, good response so far

One of my goals for this month was to switch Missa's math from Miquon to Math-U-See. Well, Friday I ordered Alpha for her and it arrived this morning while I was still rubbing my eyes and trying to wake up (UPS in this area likes to deliver EARLY for some reason, they were here around 9am). Missa appeared totally disinterested in it, and then tried to argue with me this afternoon when I went to sit her down for her first lesson in the book. But after we got going and she was more willing to give it a shot (with reminders that she can either do her math or she can go to bed for the night at 2pm becuase I wasn't going to deal with a defiant attitude today) she decided that it isn't so bad. She watched the DVD lesson with me and then took a brief break while I set up the dining table for 3 kids to do their math at once. I had Kimi and Missa doing their levels of Math-U-See (lesson 1 in Alpha for Missa, lesson 3 in Primer for Kimi) and Lydia doing her Horizons math 1 workbook. Kimi did 3 pages of math, Missa did 2 pages, and Liddy did 1 1/2 pages. Halfway through her first page of math, Missa said she loves her new math book and wanted to do more than just that page so I let her move faster.

2 comments:

Tristan said...

Yay!

We're still plugging along in MUS. Makayla has a few lessons left in Gamma (I'm thinking 7?). Joseph and Emma have about the same left in Primer. I'm picking up workbooks for the next levels at convention - no shipping!

Cat said...

Thats why I want to go to the convention so badly! I have to get another book for alpha, a Primer book, then the Beta set with an additional book (and Gamma that way too, we're letting them set the pace and I know that Missa and Liddy will take off through Beta once they master their facts) plus I need a second set of the rods and was toying with the idea of the storage box too (but likely we'll just store it in a second rubbermaid shoe box, 2 kids to a box that way since I get everyone doing math at the same time around the dining table and I just float from kid to kid, and I try to stagger it so only one kid is doing a DVD lesson each day)