Wednesday, March 30, 2011

countdown to convention!!!!!

Yes, our tax refund arrived and cleared the bank (minus a hold on almost half of it because of silly bank policies) so I can officially say that we are going to be going to the Midwest convention on Saturday. I am so happy, Scott has arranged for the girls to spend the night on Friday with his mom and then tonight he's going to reserve a rental car for us to take down to the convention (we don't want to put that many miles on any of our vehicles with the way he commutes in his car and our need to leave my van with his mom in case she has to go somewhere with the girls so she can do it legally). I am debating between a full pass for us and just a pass to the vendor's hall (which is what I REALLY want to be exploring and need Scott for help with). But, it is such an exciting moment for me, as it has been a full year since he and I got an overnight without the children (we're considering leaving Friday night and getting a hotel room somewhere closer to the convention since it is a few hours away from here) and we do enjoy getting away for a bit alone whenever possible.

Now I just have to figure out what to wear for the convention and if I need to take something for us to use as a carrying device for any goods we get there (but then, I am married to a man who can pick up a speedboat). I won't be carrying anything so it will be all on him to do that.

I've never been to a homeschool convention before, despite the fact we've been doing this a few years now. So I'm really looking forward to it, and to the CHEO convention in Akron this June when I can go without any kids at all if I want to go to it. I'm reading online for convention tips on how to best navigate it and what I need to have (like uhhh do they take credit cards or should I plan on us having a large amount of cash on hand, I'm making a lot of purchases this weekend based on some special deals that I know will be there at the convention, like the almost $300 I'll be dropping at Math-U-See, if they take cards then I don't have to plan ahead so that we can hit the bank and make a LARGE withdrawal and keep it somewhere on Scott that it can't be picked off him) but if you have anything for me to offer up, please feel free to share with me. I'm really looking forward to this!

2 comments:

Tristan said...

Some will only take cash, but I know MUS takes cards. :) I do a mix of cash for small purchases and cards for larger ones.

Also, ideas for carrying items - a backpack, a rolling carry on luggage piece...

If you have mroe questions email me!

Cat said...

Awesome, I'll plan on taking my smaller suitcase with us since it rolls, and then I'll have Scott grab money from the ATM on our way there to make sure we're good there. I'm just so excited about this, I can't believe I'm going to my first convention after 4 years homeschooling. lol