Monday, January 03, 2011

Welcome to 2011

Yes, it is a new year. A fresh start to things, an opportunity to build memories and make changes for the better. I like to call Mondays the ultimate in the do-over because you are starting fresh for a week. Well, the start of a new year is also one of those ultimate do-overs. Its a new year, who cares if you totally screwed up 2010? You got a fresh start now in 2011, so grab it and run wild.

Often, people make resolutions for the new year. Usually those are things like "lose 20lbs" or "quit smoking." Those are BIG goals, and all people do is stare at the end and then get discouraged when it isn't easy and happen quickly, so they give up. Well, not this year for me. I decided that I need to set a few goals for my own betterment in a few areas. One for my physical/mental health, one for our home environment, one for the kids' homeschool, one for my college, and one for my relationships in general. So, here goes, my list of goals.

1: exercise 3 times a week at a minimum
2: develop a consistent routine for housework
3: be consistent in homeschooling at least 4 days a week
4: get my GPA to a 3.0 by the end of next Semester and maintain it
5: say at least one positive thing about each person I love daily

Now, do you notice that the central theme around my goals for this year involve me doing things on a regular basis? Looks like I am working on becoming more consistent with the things i need to do. Right now, I work out uhhhhhhhhh never. Housework happens when I'm forced to, homeschool may happen a couple days a week randomly, and my grades in college are hovering near that 2.0 line just high enough to keep my financial aid eligibility.

So, I need to come up with a course of action in this matter. I happen to know that I am capable of being consistent with things, as I managed to teach myself to take my meds every morning (it only took me 3 months of having an alarm go off at 6:30am every single day before I was able to shut that off because I take my pills when I get up each day). So, I just need to set myself up for success with this. I am going to start small. I have no clue what I'll do exactly, but I know that I am going to do this. I will find a way to remember to do the things I need to do every day to improve my home, my relationships, my education, and my health.

No comments: