Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Math-U-See Primer

I decided to go ahead and start Kimi today with Primer. I spent a good amount of time yesterday once the program arrived looking it over and playing with the manipulatives and doing the lessons myself to get familiar with it, so I had a rough idea what I'm doing. Well, we did lesson 1 today. Kimi and I sat together and watched the DVD lesson on my laptop, then we pulled that worksheet out of her book and got some of the green blocks to do it. We're just having fun with it right now, she did 2 pages of the lesson today and I anticipate that tomorrow and Friday she'll finish the lesson.

Now, this child is one that I sat and seriously debated on what level to buy her. At first, I thought I should get her Alpha until I discussed it with a couple people over at the Sonlight forums. Their input led me to get Primer instead, and once it arrived and I got a good look at the materials I started doubting that it was the right choice for her. But, we're going to do it anyway with her, and I'm having her actually use the workbook instead of my original plan to have her do the work in a notebook. She will likely finish it before Missa's birthday in April, but that's all right. I'm actually planning to purchase Alpha here I think next month for Missa to do, so I'll be ready when Kimi is ready for Alpha. I just hope that starting in Alpha we can treat the student workbook like a non-consumable textbook, and have the girls do the work in notebooks instead.

If you've done Math-U-See Alpha, do you think it will be possible to do the program the way I want to? The cheapskate in me just doesn't like the idea of spending that much on math workbooks if I can reuse them and have them write in notebooks instead. Notebooks I can get 10/$1 during the back-to-school sales so it is a much more economical choice for us to do this instead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another option for keeping your workbook unmarked is to use some type of page protector and dry erase or vis-a-vis markers. Some people use the notebook page protectors cut down the side so that they slide over the workbook. We use a polycarb sheet (like plexiglass) and write on that. If I want documentation, I snap a picture.

Cat said...

See now, I like having a hard copy of the work that they do for reporting. We do so much real-life application of math and reading lessons here that often, the math book is just used to test that they've mastered the concept we're working on. I do take a lot of pictures of the work they do, especially if it is on the dry-erase board (I'm sure you've seen the post where Missa did place-value and expanded form on the big board sitting on my bed) but I like having that notebook or workbook to flip through also with completed work that I can use in reference to what we've covered and mastered.