Tuesday, November 30, 2010

handwriting 101 for pre-k'ers

So, if you haven't already gathered, I am fairly relaxed about homeschooling with kids under a certain age. I don't actually "do" a formal preschool here with them, they just kind of pick the stuff up somehow (most likely from television, educational computer games, and having big sisters teaching them this stuff). So, a few weeks ago My sweet little Kimi asked me to teach her how to write her name. I started with just a simple "KIMI" for her on the dry erase board, and in about 2 minutes she had mastered that (as we can all tell by looking at certain doors and walls in my home now LOL she likes to practice and doesn't always use paper for that). So, today when we did our core and such with the older two girls, I though to myself that maybe she'd be ready to take on the writing in Sonlight's lang. arts K program. Now remember, she is only 4 1/2 with a January birthday, so she isn't expected really at this point to be able to write her name or much of anything else. I remembered from doing this lang. arts level with my oldest girls that the first week starts off with writing their first name, so I decided to just go for it and see how it went. I got out a sheet of the Handwriting Without Tears paper (its the ONLY handwriting program I will ever use, it is WONDERFUL and I've had a lot of success with it and myoldest 2 girls) and carefully printed out "Kimberly" for her, just like I typed it. She has NEVER written a lowercase letter in her life, so I didn't expect her to do very well with it. I'm more interested in the exposure at this point with her, and getting her started on using lowercase letters.

So how did her copywork for today go? Well, here is a picture that I took of her paper (used my laptop's webcam, pardon if it is grainy or fuzzy or whatever) and you tell me how she did.



How do YOU think my 4 year old did printing her full first name for the first time, along with using some lowercase letters for the first time ever? I count a total of 5 lowercase letters in her name that she wrote, well the M could be a capital but I do think she was attempting a lowercase with it. I just simply told her to do her best with it, and that tomorrow we'd work together on the letters she had trouble with. I don't have much to work with her on as far as those letters go.......... :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful first attempt! It's very readable.

Unknown said...

I think it is so great that you are chronicling your kids' progress this way! You will look back on these posts in years to come, and be delighted that you have saved these memories!

Cat said...

Susan, I hope that my blogging what all we do here will bring me joy in the future when I look back on my blog. I truly enjoy my blog here, and find it helps me to see how much they have progressed when I get down and feel like we aren't getting anywhere at all.