Monday, November 29, 2010

changes to my core 1 schedule

Well I posted a couple hours ago about the girls spending all of last week on the first 2 pages of Usborne's Peoples of the World. After that post, my brain started cranking and I started thinking about this a little bit. I grabbed that book and Usborne's Houses and Homes (the next book we'll be doing after Peoples of the World) and my core 1 guide, and sat down to do a little thinking and looking.

The first 6 weeks of core 1 cover 2 pages of those two books each day. That equals 30 guide days at pace since we're doing the 5 day schedule. If we do 2 pages a week instead of 2 pages a day as scheduled, that means it would give me 30 weeks in those books. So the way I see it, I have 2 options ahead of me.

option 1: do the 2 pages a week, then go into the rest of the core as scheduled and not worry about taking longer than scheduled or planned. That would put us finishing up core 1 at around uhhhhhhhhhh mu birthday of next school year I think.

option 2: do 2 pages a week from these 2 books, and also go ahead in the guide starting in week 7 at the same time. This would give me exactly 30 weeks of material if I go at pace in the guide with the remaining material, so we'd finish the core right around the start of next school year.

The OCD part of me is screaming to do option 2, so that I can stay "on schedule" and not "get behind". But at the same time, the super relaxed part of me says to do option 1 and just see what happens. But then, I also have that nagging little part of my brain reminding me that on my notification, I said we were doing core 1 and I should try to actually do core 1 to where I'm at least 2/3 done with it when I do portfolio review (we won't be doing standardized testing prior to 5th grade by our own preferences, I refuse to teach to the test like they do in schools, and the standardized testing may or may not be used as reporting starting in 5th grade just based on the scores and how accurately we feel they reflect our girls' abilities and knowledge if we choose to do testing then). It just doesn't feel quite right to say I'm going to do core 1 and then when its time for review have to say that we did all the read alouds and poetry but only the first 6 weeks of the history, know what I mean? So, I'm kind of flip-flopping on this one.

If you have insight, input, or an option I've not tought of yet with this, please comment and tell me! I'm totally open on this, and I have a feeling Scott doesn't have much of an opinion beyond "as long as they are learning dear, whatever you choose is fine with me."

4 comments:

Tristan said...

I was thinking about option 2 before I read your post. The only problem is your girls may want to slow down some of the other weeks too, then you'll get all sorts of crazy mixed up schedules going. The other option is to just not worry about covering the whole book on those two. It's okay not to finish everything.

Anonymous said...

We're having a similar issue with Science K. I think we could spend years on that it we keep going as we have. On one hand, it's great that they want to learn more and go deeper. On the other hand, that can really change your scheduling plans and can become exhausting after a while.

I'd probably go with your Option 2. Of course, they may not keep spending a week on two pages and then you'll be rescheduling again. Fun, eh?

Luke Holzmann said...

I remember looking at the Usborne books all the time as a kid. We moved through the content pretty much with the schedule, but if we wanted to take more time with it, we did that on our own. I spent a ton of time with the castle section of one of the books [smile].

Just another option to consider.

~Luke

Cat said...

Luke, darn you just as I had myself *almost* decided to follow option 2 you give me this great insight from a view that I would have not seen because I'm the parent and not the kid with the core. You gave me a lot to think about on this one........... hmmmmmm maybe I'll just finish up Archeologists Dig For Clues today like we planned and then pick up those books again and go for it.


I did put in the disclaimer on my blog that I'm incredibly flakey and change my mind at the drop of a hat, didn't I? lol