Thursday, September 11, 2014

Week in Review

Yes, I'm doing a week in review post on Thursday.  That should tell you what this week has been like for us.  First, we had it 100% confirmed that Lydia has mono and even which specific strain it is (yay for modern medical technology!).  That was on Monday morning.  Wednesday we had Nathaniel's 4 month checkup and shots, which shot our afternoon in the foot.  Plus, this week Scott started a new schedule at work so he's now working 5:30am-4pm every day so we are adjusting to that as well.  Did I mention also that Scott and Preston both are sick as well?  We are pretty sure Scott has bronchitis and suspect that Preston either has mono as well or he caught that respiratory virus that is going through the midwest and putting kids in the hospital.  Either way, he's recovering slowly, sleeping a lot, and just a little beast to deal with between the grumpy attitude, horribly gross runny nose, and the fact that when he's awake he isn't slowing down much at all.

Needless to say, this week has been a bust for us academically.  We did manage a couple days of math,bible, and English but that's about it really.  I give up, we'll try again next week.  I started our school year 3 weeks before the local school started specifically so we could be flexible like this, but dang I didn't expect to need it this soon.

I'm also getting really tired of 3 different math things going at once.  So I'm taking the scope and sequence of the 2 formal curricula we're using to create an outline for me to follow, and then using the third thing (Khan Academy) as a supplemental thing for "math games day" that we'll do once in a while.  My plan is to push forward with the outline until each kid is ready for algebra, then we'll pick up formal curriculum at that level.  This should give us what we need there as far as meeting needs for my math whiz kid while also working for my average kids and giving the extra support my struggling learner needs.  I'm hoping to work on my outline tonight after the kids go to bed, when it is quiet so I can focus and think.

No comments: