Friday, September 12, 2014

I love impromptu science stuff

Yesterday I called this week a wash for academics.  Well, that changed this morning.

When I logged onto my Facebook this morning, the first thing I saw on my feed was a post by local channel 10 meteorologist Chris Bradley.  He said that the aurora borealis (also known as the Northern Lights) will be visible as far south as the Ohio River tonight.  Of course, the forecast for here in central Ohio is a lot of cloud coverage so chances of seeing it are low.  I took the opportunity to tell the kids about it and we looked up pictures of the lights online, learned about the science of it happening, and we are planning to stay up late tonight to try and catch a glimpse through all the clouds.

Then I saw on my feed further down that a friend made a "naked egg" with her kids.  I looked it up online and thought it sounds fun so we have an egg turning naked now.  Tomorrow we'll take the naked egg and put it in colored water to show how the water flows through the egg's membrane, and then we'll put it in corn syrup if I have any to shrink it and discuss what happened with that.  Lots of science fun on a whim, I love doing science like this.

No comments: