Saturday, March 16, 2013

busy week of anticipation then disappointment

I had a pretty busy week.  Last weekend we went out and I got to pick out a new dishwasher since ours has been limping for a while now and not doing such a great job at actually getting the dishes clean.  Having to wash dishes at least twice while running the dishwasher at only half filled just doesn't cut it for me.  Therefore, we got me a new kitchen slave that my husband feels is a need to make sure I have just one less thing to complain about (I do NOT like doing dishes, and we've had a dishwasher since my father gave us a portable for Christmas when Missa was a baby and we lived in the trailer so I've been softened and spoiled by the machine).  He says that spending the money now to make sure that I am smiling over clean dishes is beyond worth not having to hear me complain about all the dishes that we go through, and is cheaper than paper plates half the time.

We scheduled for the dishwasher to be delivered and installed today, and then made the decision as a couple to let the kids have the week off lessons so that I could deep clean my kitchen in preparation of the new dishwasher.  I got the kitchen halfway done to my liking before this morning's delivery, which isn't my ideal but it works.  The kids even helped with the cleaning, even down to Missa mopping the kitchen floor this morning until she slipped and fell on the wet floor (she didn't have a shoe on the foot not in a cast).

I should have known that the install was going to go badly when the guy showed up and tried to tell me instantly that we'd not be able to fit the new dishwasher in through the doorway to my kitchen.  I measured it myself before they arrived, the doorway is 2" wider than the dishwasher they were putting in.  He didn't like that, but double checked my measurement and then started.  Pulled out the old one no issues, then measured the space height before he brought in the new one.  It was 1/2" too short.

He tried to tell us that it wouldn't work, however we knew better because the way this house is done.  See, in the kitchen there is a lovely Pergo floor that I absolutely can't stand because it is such a light wood.  We have linoleum tiles waiting for Scott to pull out the Pergo and prepare the underlying floor (meaning tear out the old tiles and prep the subfloor, possibly replacing some of it).  This floor does NOT go under the dishwasher, it just goes up to the kick plate.  Scott popped out the floor board that is directly in front of the dishwasher and poof we have exactly 34 inches of height now for the new one.  So delivery guy goes out to get the machine and have his partner help him carry it in.

They get it in, and we discover one "small" issue.  I say "small" like that because it is just a little thing but it is a BIG holdup.  The people my grandmother bought this house from must have renovated the kitchen and moved the stove, as the 220 outlet for my stove is where the dishwasher goes.  This isn't an issue with the old dishwasher because how the design.  The machine sits up pretty high with a smaller area for the racks to go in.  The new machine is MUCH deeper, and the bottom is almost on the ground to allow for the taller area needed for my adjustable top rack.  It won't slide in with that outlet where it is.

We have an electrician coming out on Monday afternoon to take a look at it and tell us how much it will cost to move it about 4 feet to be behind the stove.  There goes what I had set aside for curriculum, just so I can have a working dishwasher.  Once that outlet is moved, the delivery guy gets to come back and finish installing my dishwasher for us.  We paid the extra to have them deliver and install it plus take away the old one, and I'm NOT going to give up the install part.  I've already spoken to his supervisor about it and he is going to call me on Tuesday afternoon to set up when they will come back out.  Until then, I hand wash every dish we use and try as hard as possible to not complain because my delicate soft hands are being ruined by dishes.

I really hope that the time goes quickly, and that the electrician doesn't charge us too much and can get it taken care of very fast so that I can have my brand new dishwasher up and running by the end of the week.  Until then, teamwork with kids and mom (and dad when he's home) will be how we do dishes.

No comments: