Tuesday, March 20, 2012

the Kindle

Yes, we finally bought one this month for me.  I swore that I'd never own one, as a book lover one of my favorite things about reading a book is the rustling of pages and being able to twiddle the side of the pages as I read to help me focus.  However, books are horribly impractical for reading when you are spending hours a day stuck in a chair while the baby is latched on to nurse.  A traditional book is a little too heavy and big to hold with one hand and read easily, and turning pages is a chore.  So, Scott and I agreed that a Kindle would be the way to go.

We were initially going to get the Kindle Fire because I like gadgets like that, but we decided to go instead with the classic and continue to save up for my iPad that I've been wanting since they first came out.  That iPad will come in VERY handy at managing my life with some of the apps I can get, but that's a completely different post for a future date when I actually GET the iPad and can share all the things I will be using it for.

But anyway, the Kindle.......

It was a breeze for me to get set up and charged, and get some books on it.  I have about $24 in Amazon gift certificate money loaded to my account still, and I want to spend it on books for me to read.  I have many free domain books on the Kindle already, sorted into collections based on who and what they are for (kids' history, kids' read alouds, mom's reading, and such).  OK so maybe many isn't the right word here as I only have about 30 books loaded on it.  But it feels like a lot of books to me.

So now I must ask for some suggestions.  I am in need of some new reading material for me personally.  Most of the books I have already on it I've read in the past and enjoyed, or they are the entire 6 volume series by Charlotte Mason (dry as heck).  I'm looking for new reading material.  I'm especially interested in books that may help me as a parent, wife, and/or homeschool parent, and total fluff (I rather enjoyed the Ann Rice books I've read in the past and plan to get a couple more).

What do YOU like to read on your Kindle?

2 comments:

Tristan said...

Okay, total fluff:
The Twilight Saga
The Hunger Games trilogy
The Percy Jackson series (5 books - the kids would love these possibly and they're a great way to kick off an interest in greek mythology)
Crossed and the sequal Matched by Ally Condie, the last book is due out this Nov (Reached).
Miss Match, Rematch, and Match Point, (The Lauren Holbrook Series by Erynn Mangum)


Parenting:
Parenting with Love and Logic
The Five Love Languages of Children

Cat said...

Thanks Tristan! I just got both of the parenting books you suggested (and in fact, I found the 5 love languages in a set with the children and teenagers books both in it so I got THAT one since I'm just a few years from having a teen myself, that age SCARES me and I want to prepare for it)