Sunday, June 20, 2010

Melissa's interesting learning style

Well, this summer I had decided to just relax and work on reading and math with the kids, and Scott is going to do an astronomy study with the girls. So, we got the books and I got things set up and cut out to do the lapbooks for the astronomy study, and we have some readers from the library. Well, I wasn't really too sure how its been going with reading and Melissa until today.

Today, the kids were watching a Donald Duck short on Disney, and Melissa read the label of a bottle in the cartoon. It said "rubber cement" and she didn't hesitate on it. So, I had her go get one of the readers that we haven't worked with yet from the library. She read the entire thing with only a handful of "mom what is this word" and not too many missed words either. It was a beginner's chapter book, around a 2nd grade level (I'm guessing mid 2nd grade, which is slightly above grade level for her as she's going to start 2nd grade in August but is only in 1st grade phonics). She enjoyed reading the entire book to me, and admitted to sneaking books into their bedroom at night to read after everyone is asleep (she has been hiding in the closet with her books)

Now, this child learned to walk completely on her own by practicing in her crib at naptimes and bedtime every day until she had it down, and then she just stood up one day before Christmas at 8 months old and took off across the room. She does EVERYTHING like this, she hates people seeing her struggle and make mistakes while she's learning to do it. I really shouldn't be surprised by her doing this with her reading, considering that she's done this a lot with major developmental milestones. Heck she even did this in a way with learning to ride without training wheels. She would sneak outside to practice in the driveway in the mornings after Scott left for work before anyone else was up (and believe me, EVERY time I caught her doing it she got in a lot of trouble because that is just flat out dangerous) and then after a couple weeks she had it down and showed off happily what her new skill was.

I think I need to try and figure out a way to embrace this interesting way she learns to help her with her money skills and telling time. If you've got any ideas to help encourage this organic way she learns, please let me know so I can work with it better.

No comments: