Saturday, January 09, 2010

the end of a second quarter

Wow, this school year is flying by. We have worked hard and had some struggles with things, but things are going really well for us. We've been learning lots, and did a lot of neat things. So, yesterday was the end of our second quarter, maning we are already halfway through this school year. WOWIE! Here's a breakdown of how we're geting through the curriculum:

Melissa:

math- 48%
phonics- 62%
language arts- 59%
history- 46%
science- 38%
art- 38%

Lydia:

math- 61%
phonics- 42%
language arts- 59%
history- 33%

The numbers this quarter are a bit better than they were at the end of last quarter, but I need to really buckle down in a few subjects to get us up to speed again. According to OHVA, I need to do history, science, art, and music two days a week. I tweaked our schedule to have us doing those subjects every day until we get where I want us to be at, and am adding a couple extra lessons a week to math and phonics for the girls. I really would like to get us up to the next grade in all subjects by the end of March if possible (ok won't happen for Lydia with phonics but I can dream right?) I'm really feeling good about this school year and how we're doing with it all. They are definitely making a lot of great progress and I've been way more successful homeschooling this year than I was last school year.

When I finish homeschool next week, I will have officially homeschooled longer than I did last school year. OHVA has definitely helped to give me my confidence and empower me to be successful. I don't know where I'd be this year without OHVA, I'd probably not have done even close to as well as we have done this year. It really has given us what we need for consistency.

No comments: