Tuesday, January 20, 2009

we started K finally!

In case you didn't know, for preschool last year with Melissa we had so many interruptions that we only got about half our work done for the year. This is what I love about homeschooling by the way. So when we started this year with Melissa, we were picking up in the middle of preschool materials. Well, I managed to get a wonderful deal on Sonlight core K and science K (I'm talking $50 and my spare tv here, the seller was a friend of mine who knew my money plight with the materials I needed) and I spent a week studying my instructor guides before we started this week. I was all geared up to start yesterday; I had gone to the library to get a few books to add to it and had copied the worksheets for the week and typed up a simple lesson plan for the week with all the assignments for the week in each subject that we are going to do. Then when yesterday came, the girls fought me on their morning cores and managed to drag them out until suppertime so we didn't get to lessons. No biggie really, they were really sad that they didn't get to do lessons (after all, these are the children who asked me on Christmas Day if they could do lessons before they asked if they can open presents, and when they asked me we were standing by the tree with all the presents under it LOL) but they must not have cared that much because they dragged folding a small basket of their clothes (I'm talking small enough it barely holds 3 pairs of adult jeans, not a huge rectangle one) and put away a few toys in their room.

But anyway, our read aloud is "The Boxcar Children" and for history we are learning about Martin Luther. Today in science we learned about the water cycle and how rainbows are made. In language arts, our weekly letter is Mm so we did our letter page today, and the copywork is our street address. In math, Melissa FINALLY mastered counting by 2's to 10 so we moved on to ordinal numbers 1st-5th. Yep, today was a hit. We did very well, and I'm really happy at how things turned out for us.

Oh, and we also watched the presidential inauguration this morning, and talked a little about Barack Obama and his job. Melissa asked me how old his daughters are, and if they go to a school or do school at home. She thinks his girls look like they would be fun to play with and didn't quite get that she can't just go to their house for a playdate (but oh man would I love to do that, a trip to the White House is on my list of things to do in the next 5 years for school-related field trips) So I'm guessing that as soon as we are done with Martin Luther, we'll learn about our new President and do a lapbook about him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Congrads on starting. Just found your blog on the sonlight forums. I look forward to reading about your homeschooling adventures. My DD is almost 5.