Tuesday, January 06, 2009

January 6th lessons

Well, today was another day lol I did our lessons today, and it went pretty well I thought. Kimmy spent the whole time working on board puzzles for the letters and numbers.

Melissa, today in math we started learning about even and odd numbers up to 10. I used legos and some of our pattern blocks for manipulatives to help teach it, and I think she's starting to get the hang of even vs. odd numbers. By the end of the week she *should* be able to rattle off her evens and odds up to 10 if I keep working with her on it. We aren't doing any actual reading lessons, as she's still pretty resistant at this point to even trying it. So, instead we are doing spelling words. I asked her to write out 8 simple words on a piece of paper and draw a picture to go with each word, and then I asked her to read each word back to me when we were done. I'm going to do the same words again later in the week, because she seemed to be able to just sound them out a little and tell me exactly what the word was. I think we may try doing this for a while instead of the reading part of our language arts program just to see how its going.

Lydia, today she did a matching worksheet to review numbers 1-5 for math. In her language arts, she did a letter worksheet. She had fun with it, since it was a coloring page. She had to color the apples with a captial A red, and the ones with a lowercase a yellow. Then she colored the tree. She also participated in the spelling lesson with Melissa, but we only did a couple words with her.

Jordan napped through the whole thing thankfully, she's been getting her 1 year molars in and has been a total beast to live with for a week and a half now. I'm ready for her to finish this teething sesson already, she's by far the worst teether I've had yet. She just screams and cries nonstop and inconsolably almost every minute she's awake it seems like, and I just want to run screaming half the time becuase I'm so tired of hearing the constant screaming, crying, whining, and screeching.

When Jordan woke up, we all snuggled on the sofa together while I read a couple stories to the girls. The theme for this week is honesty, so we read about George Washington and the cherry tree as one of our stories. The point went right over Melissa's head I think LOL But then, this is the same child that last night spent 15 minutes trying to convince us that she wasn't standing in the kitchen eating the grated parmesean cheese straight from the container, while she stood in the kitchen next to the empty contain sitting on the counter with cheese all over around her mouth, down her shirt front, and on the floor at her feet. I was less than amused, but now I can look back at that sight and chuckle about it. I have a feeling that any lessons in honesty will be hard to teach her, so I'm preparing myself for a long hard series of lessons with her on the subject.

Oh yeah, this afternoon I also sat down with Kimmy for a few minutes and we counted her fingers and toes together, one hand/foot at a time. I'm working on teaching her to count to 10, so we are doing fun little things with it for a couple minutes each day.

No comments: