Thursday, February 09, 2006

prepping to start preschool

I'm preparing things to start Melissa with some preschool starting in April after her birthday. Since her birthday is on a Friday this year, her party is the next day and then we'll begin preschool on the following Monday. I'm thinking that I'll use a combination of the Letter of the Week program (www.letteroftheweek.com) and the read alouds from Sonlight's pre-k cirriculum (www.sonlight.com) with a lot of free play and fun activities to go with it. She'll also start dance classes in the fall once I find a studio that we like within our budget, I'm still not sure what exactly we'll sign her up for within the studio but I know she'll have a blast once she starts. I'm also starting to work with Lydia on basics like her body parts, shapes, colors, and stuff like that. She's picking things up quickly so I know that it'll be a breeze, I may start her with preschool stuff too in April if she shows that she's ready for it alongside her big sister. This week and next week I'm focusing on printing out things I know that I need to do preschool with Melissa, and then I'll make out my lesson plans and figure out what else I want to add in with school and make up my unit studies to go with the reading we'll be doing and all that good stuff. I'll probably make changes to Letter of the Week so that it meshes better with our unit studies and themes that we'll be doing, so I have a lot of work ahead of me. I think 2 months will be enough time to set up the basic structure and get us into a working schedule so that we are ready when we start lessons. Only time will tell what will happen, this is my ideal plan but who knows if it'll work out that way?

No comments: