Sunday, August 28, 2011

need some guidance here for a health/science study

So I had a moment this morning. I was just getting out of the shower, I barely had the towel in my hands even, when Kimi and Liddy came into the bathroom. (sometimes I really do NOT like having only one bathroom, this was one of those moments at first) Now, these two kids are my inquisitive ones who make complex connections quickly on a regular basis. I'm regularly surprised by the things they say, think, figure out, and do.

Their question when they came into the bathroom was one that I was NOT prepared for, however. "Mom, we want to know how the baby is going to come out of your tummy." Oh my....... I'm dripping and trying to cover the important parts with a too-small towel thanks to my stomach growing (I show early and then gain a lot during pregnancy, I'm hoping to stick under 50lbs this time) and now I get to figure out how to answer THAT to a 5yr old and 7yr old. I told them I needed a bit to think about how to answer that because it is a little complicated, and they skipped off to let me think.

An hour later now, I still have NO IDEA how to answer that and they've asked me about it already a couple more times. Anyone got suggestions for me on how to explain that to them (we've not had the talk yet about how the baby actually got there, they are starting with the end and working backwards for information) without scarring them for life? We've already talked about the things a newborn needs and what they can and can't do, looked at pictures of them as newborns, and stuff like that. So, now we're talking about the baby growing in there and then coming out. Suggestions?

2 comments:

Mrs. Wilson said...

You could start by asking them what they think happens and play off of that. Here are some other ideas. http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/feelings/sibling_prep.html

Kat - Ruthie-dos.blogspot.com said...

what about a fun craft??

get a couple whoopie cushions... a plastic baby for each (or more... if you want to show the idea of twins)

and BEFORE the girls get in on this... stuff (the doll should be difficult enough to push out that you really have to squeeze) the doll in... then add water to make the whoopie cushion all swollen... and you can even add a little bit of red food die... you could add some cornstarch/flour paste onto the baby before you put it in... if you want to simulate that goo that covers babies.

then, you're good to go... explain to the girls that the hole in the whoopie cushion is like the hole the baby comes from... "vagina"... and tell them where that is... that the body of it is like a uterus... inside you... then explain that the uterus is a muscle... that when it's time to have baby get out, it will contract... and show them how to "squeeze" to contract it...

let them feel to see if their baby is head down or not... if there is one or two... and basically help them "birth" their babies...