Tuesday, December 07, 2010

science thoughts for my girls

So, I'm sure you've gathered that we don't have a set curriculum for science this year for the girls. There is a reason for that too. See, I ran out of money before I had decided on science materials for our homeschool (thanks to an old house, broke-down pickup truck, and me getting mono and spending a month depending on Scott to bring home takeout almost every night for supper). So I decided that I was going to wing it, more or less, this year and see what comes of it.

Enter my grand idea. I own 4 different Sonlight cores, 1 Sonlight science level, and 4 different levels of Sonlight language arts. Yes, you can safely say that we are a Sonlight family with that stuff on my shelf. Of course, all that is on top of the books we've gathered over the years that we've been parents so far, and the misc. college textbooks I have from my attempts to go to school for a degree. I should have enough to do my own thing with science until we get the tax refund and can buy Sonlight science 1, right?

Now here's my idea. In cores P3/4 and P4/5, Sonlight included science as part of the packages. That gives me uhhhhh 10 books I think that we can really dig into. Now, my girls have read some of these books already with our past runs through those cores, but we didn't really dig in with them at all. So, I'm going to do one book at a time and we're going to read through it, digging deeper in the subject and material it covers as they have an interest. I have the internet (obviously) so we can easily dig in with some searching online without much trouble.

So yesterday I did just that. We started the Flip-Flap Body Book from core P3/4 and I only read the first 2 pages of it to the girls, and they were really interested in it. Missa begged me to read more, then cried when I said no and that we'd read more tomorrow, and then we moved on to history and she got interested in that. Today I'll read the next two pages of that book to them, and again field begging and crying for more before I go on into history and they get sucked into it and want more more more of history. I am NOT stressing over it at all right now, if they ask for more about science once we are done with our schooling this afternoon then we'll hop onto the laptop and do a little digging.

But yeah, that's my thoughts on science. We're going to just start with the books I have and go through them while we wait for the money to buy the curriculum I have picked (which, when I buy SL science 1 I'm also buying core 2 and science 2, plus at least one additional level of readers, which all that should cover me for a couple school years on top of my core 1 stuff we have now)

3 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

Based on Missa's response, I'd say you've got a good plan in action there [smile].

Keep up the great work, and may God continue to provide for you and your family.

~Luke

FairyLover said...

Sounds like a great plan for studying science. Enjoy.

Kathi

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good plan. We have science K and are really stretching it, more than I had planned. I read a day's assignments, then we look up things that catch her interest. If she still wants to know more, we head to the library. When we finish all the bunny trails we're following, we go back to the IG and do another day.