Sunday, September 26, 2010

doing lessons with a sensory-sensitive child

You may or may not know this, but Missa has some sensory stuff. Loud music, lots of lights, and many textures bother her. This is just one of the quirks that make her special and unique, but this is the most difficult one that we have to work with here. Anyway, I thought I'd share how WE handle sensory sensitivity with her in schooling.

She does most of her written work on a dry-erase board. So, here are a few pictures to show what I mean. A simple math lesson usually looks something like this:




While a writing assignment may look like this with her:




As you can tell, she has a slight aversion to paper at times. I can get her to work in her workbooks and do writing on a sheet of paper, but honestly sometimes it is just such a struggle that I don't fight her and hey, she enjoys doing her work on the board so why not? I find it interesting how she can be so different from her younger sisters some days, especially when she's having a rough day with her processing.

And credit on that math lesson goes to Math-U-See. Their demo DVD that you can get free has a place-value lesson on it, and I got the idea for place value "houses" from there. It totally works with her, after a few weeks of trying to help her understand place value and it not sinking in I did the houses and it stuck almost immediately.

No comments: